About Sadler Hughes Apothecary
Founded in 1917 by Rufus Sadler, Sr. and William Owens, Sadler Owens Pharmacy was located in the building that is now Adair’s Mens Shop. After the opening of the pharmacy, Rufus Sadler, Sr. went off to serve in the Army during World War I. Upon returning, Owens sold his share in the store and it became known as “Sadler’s.” The store was relocated to where Royal Academy Cosmetology School currently resides and remained open during the Great Depression. Years later, the pharmacy relocated to 110 Musgrove Street.
Rufus Sadler, Jr. began working in the store during the 1930’s and 1940’s while attending Clinton High School. He went on to attend the Naval Academy before returning to Clinton to begin running the pharmacy due to his father’s illness. During this time he was commuting to Columbia from Clinton to attend pharmacy school in addition to taking care of the pharmacy’s operations.
In 1969, the store moved to its current location on South Broad Street, and because it strictly sold medicine its name was changed to Sadler Apothecary. In 1987, Rufus’ son-in-law, Walter M. Hughes, Jr. joined the business and the name was changed to Sadler Hughes Apothecary.
For over 95 years, Sadler Hughes Apothecary has been serving the Clinton community, providing the highest level of personalized service to all customers.
We look forward to serving you!!
Sadler Hughes Apothecary is a full service community pharmacy committed to serving the citizens of Laurens County, South Carolina and the students of Presbyterian College. At Sadler Hughes Apothecary you’re a person with a name, and someone that we know personally. Our pharmacists and staff get to know our customers and are always available to answer questions related to your personal health.
Walter M. Hughes, Jr., RPH
Born and raised in Clinton, SC, Walter began working at Sadler-Owens Apothecary during high school while Rufus Sadler was the owner. He attended the University of South Carolina where he obtained a Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy and then the University of South Carolina Pharmacy School. Walter married Patricia Sadler, MD and after moving back to Clinton, he bought Sadler Owens Apothecary which became Sadler Hughes Apothecary. He and his wife have three children, Walter Hughes III, Virginia and Caroline.
Walter is a vested member of the South Carolina Pharmacy Association in addition to being a board member of the legislative committee for the SCPA. He has served as the chairman of the Carolina Pharmacy Network, is a lifetime member of the NCPA and is a member of the advisory council to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy.
James Martin, RPH
James was born in Jacksonville, Florida and attended St. Stephens High School before attending University of South Carolina. He is married to Margie Martin and together, they have two children. His daughter Lindsay is a pharmacist in Greenville and his son Tripp is a banker in Easley. James has 4 grandchildren at the moment. He is an active member of the Broad Street Methodist Church and the Rotary Club of Clinton. He is a diehard Gamecocks fan!
Jan D. Childs, RPH
Jan was born in Wilson, North Carolina and came to Clinton to attend Presbyterian College. She went on to MUSC to get her pharmacy degree. Jan has a son Jake, who is in college. Jan and her husband, Ralph “Scooter” Childs live in Clinton. Jan an avid animal lover (including snakes). Jan is very involved in community outreach and development programs.